Monday, July 1, 2013

Salted Caramel Frosting with Dark Chocolate Ganache

It's that time of year again, the husband's birthday! 2 years ago is when I really started getting into making fondant cakes with my first one: the iphone cake. I'm still proudest of this cake due to the time it took to make and the level of detail, and the fact that the fondant came out perfectly on my first attempt ever!


Last year I made the steak cake. This was actually incredibly easy, but I love this one since I think the mashed potatoes (whipped cream cheese) and the fondant peas and carrots look so realistic. The steak came out a little more "cartoony" than I wanted, but overall I was still impressed and my husband loved it too!



This year I knew I wanted to do something about our Mustang, and came up with the idea of making the Mustang car key cake with a checkered racing flag. I modeled this exactly after our car key replicating the ridges on the key itself. I printed a stencil of the pony and traced it onto the rolled fondant and used a sharp steak knife to cut it out. I've used an exacto knife on past cakes and I found it harder to use. Since I rarely make the cake from scratch and normally use boxed, everyone judging right now can kiss mine and Betty Crocker's ass, I always like to step up my game with making a delicious frosting. I was inspired from a cookbook my brother gave me, The Dahlia Bakery, to make a salted caramel frosting. I also melted a bar of dark chocolate to make a ganache which I poured over the cake first and let it harden before frosting.




1 comment:

  1. that looks really delish. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete